torsdag 13. september 2012

Blogg #2: What can I say or do to get her to stop?!

Interpersonal conflicts means disagreement between two or more people on a topic. It is something that occurs in every part of your life: at work, between friends and family. My story is something that didn't happen long time ago and and is still a difficult part of my life. It is based on a interpersonal conflict between me and my best friend.


She was looking at me, but seeing through me. Her eyes were all red and full of tears. Andrea was a stranger to me. She wasn’t the same person; she wasn’t my best friend anymore. 

I remember when we first met, ten years ago. From that moment onwards, we did everything together. We were like twins. Everything was perfect until six months ago,  when she started dating Ted. He was the bad boy that did everything he wasn’t supposed to do, even drugs. He got her addicted and she thought everything was perfect, and she still does. She now lives in her own little world. She doesn’t talk to her family or friends anymore, not even to me, her best friend. We used to stick together, during good and bad times. Nothing could split us apart…. except drugs. We became strangers. I don’t know how to approach her. It is simply impossible to enlighten her since she won't listen to me. It is killing me from inside. She was a role model for me: she was brilliant, did sports and was loved by everyone. In short, she had everything that guarantees a prominent future. Unfortunately, this world does not  exist  anymore. She has forgotten everything she had, even our friendship, our plans, everything. 

Two months ago I caught here stealing from me, and she keeps missing every appointment we make. I have tried to confront her but she won't listen to me, she does not believe in what I say. When I tell her he is not good for her, she freaks out. All this frustrates me. The situation is hopeless. I can’t trust her any more.

A couple of days before I came to Singapore, I was supposed to meet her.. Guess what?…. She didn’t show up. I was so mad. It was the last freaking drop, so I went to her place and found her in her bed. 

She looked at me, but saw through me…. 

4 kommentarer:

  1. This was a very compelling post, with vivid imagery and stark emotions. I can tell this friendship meant a lot to you.

    Unfortunately, I think your options here are limited, because you do not have the skills and resources to rehabilitate a serious drug abuser. Your friend might come out of it on her own, but short of calling for trained professionals, I don't know what you can do to help. I would suggest taking her out to do things that she used to enjoy most, or just reminisce with her over shared childhood memories to appeal to the old her, but I think you would have tried that already.

    I think it's worth noting that she freaked out when you tried talking her out of her relationship. At least she heard and understood what you were telling her, even if she didn't agree.

    I won't try to be an armchair psychologist and I am sorry that my advice about your problem couldn't be more useful. However, with regards to the post itself, I do have a few suggestions:

    The way you used your first and last sentences in the post make them a powerful literary tool. It would be even better if you can use repetition, alliteration, or rhyme. I suggest "I looked straight at her, but she looked straight through me..."

    ...she wasn't the same person; she wasn't my best friend anymore...
    ...stick together through thick and thin.
    ...that guaranteed a prominent...
    ...caught her stealing...
    I can't trust her any more. (Nothing wrong here, but be careful about this one, different conventions for different countries. I don't buy books ANYMORE, because I don't need ANY MORE books. This is the other way.)

    In summary, still a great post. All the best for you and your friend.

    SvarSlett
  2. Hi Han,

    Thank you for your suggestions, and I totally agree with you! It isn't easy either but hopefully everything will be okay. Also thank you for your corrections, the suggestions you come with sounds better. English is my third language, so I don't see all the mistakes and how to write better sentences. Hopefully that will improve at end of this semester

    SvarSlett
  3. Excellent post, Sumea! I love the way you prep us with the question in the title, then detail the cataclysmic events that have soured you and your best friend's relationship in fine, direct prose. It's clear that you have been replaced in your friend's life by a bad mix of additive potions (drugs, love, sex, whatever---she seems dependent).

    Like Han says, this reads like literature, but we all know that truth is stranger than fiction.

    Thank you for sharing!

    SvarSlett
  4. Thank you Mr. Blackstone. I appreciate the feedback!

    SvarSlett